View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 AM   #15
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry for the delay in getting here. I'll leave my comments and notes until after I list some suggested additional roles.

These are just what popped into my head and so throw them around, beat them up, pin them down as we all see fit. Wrestling, anyone? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
  • Haradrim... perhaps a couple of men or women sent to bring Vanwe back before Naiore finds out the village let her escape comes in a wrath at their failure.
  • "Underworld" characters, seedy ones: the sort that may know about Naiore and be prepared to rat on her for the right amount despite the obvious risk to their lives. This would facilitate those who hunt her obtaining information (including young Vanwe)
  • Celeborn, who remained in Imladris with those who did not depart at the end of the 3rd Age. Thranduril is another possibility, as is Legolas and Gimli (who at this time are in Ithilien, which is so close to Naiore's land of birth - Belfalas)
  • Elrond's sons Elladan and Elrohir, who elected to become of mortal kin (following in Elrond's brother's choice). They remained with the Rangers in Arnor.

As I said, just some suggestions for additional characters for those who are looking to join our merry company.

Now, as for my comments, here goes:

Is the Shore ripe for the picking?

I understand that it is under Elessar's protection. However, to Naiore's persepective that means little. She has no regard for king nor queen, and particularly hates those descended from Numenor, as Elessar is.

For Naiore, the Shire represents a land largely untouched by the ravages of war that blighted the rest of Middle-earth through the 2nd and 3rd Ages. To bring to this "innocent" land where they are largely unaware of one such as she a measure of suffering would be a powerful temptation.

In aiming for the Shire Naiore would come smack up against Imladris and the Dunedain of Arnor who enforce Elessar's protection. She'd naturally steer a wide berth of Imladris though, not keen on turning herself in for justice.

So it seems Bree is a place where Naiore and Vanwe could intercept each other. It is a cross roads of sorts, and likely as far as even Naiore could get when hunted as she will be.

In Bree, Naiore will be frustrated in moving further north without forces at her command to push the boundaries in her favour. News of Menecin's relatively close location in Imladris will distract her, and Vanwe will seem like the weapon to use on her new project. (Naiore needs projects, as it's the only thing that gives her life meaning and keeps her from utter despair).

The question of Galadriel

At the time I wrote the outline, I had not yet decided when exactly it would unfold. 4th Age certainly seems to best fit for characters and plot overall, so I have suggested a location and character change (Imladris and Celeborn) to reflect this.

Showdown at the Imladris Corral

It's necessary for Naiore to not suceed here in her intentions. With Elladan and Elrohir in the north along side the Dunedain, plus those that have come from the south to bring her down, Naiore will not linger long when her plans are foiled.

It is that frustration that drives her into desperate flight and despair. She has no more projects, no capability for passage into Valinor and peace, and no peace in Middle-earth. What's more, she not a creature to renounce and admit she was wrong (a classic Noldorin trait of overweening pride that's led many astray). So, she'll run, realise that she has nowhere to go any more and stage her last fight.

Where will Naiore's Last Stand be?

Perhaps it's a little too neat and contrite, but I still like the idea of Naiore meeting her end at the Gladden Fields. That location has special significance for the character which will be clearer once I have her bio up. It's also a place where Men and Elves came together in terrible battle against the Shadow so long ago. This time, they will win.

Naiore's character

It's a sad and dark mix of some of the best and worst traits of the Noldor, with some inspiration from Saurman as well. She's not inherently evil, but she certainly became so over time. It's impossible for her not to become steeped in darkness after spending 2 Ages serving Sauron. It's Naiore's need for power and knowledge that drives her principally.

That said, she's a disciplined character, well schooled and with a fascination for darker things. She's extraordinarily sensative to the emotional states of others. She's kin to Galadriel, who is sensative in other areas. Her fascination with fear, and her people's refusal to acknowledge the more basic motiviations within themselves is what prompted her to leave their "facade" behind and go to the one creature who would leave her free to learn all she could about fear, pain, suffering and grief. For her, Sauron was a natural choice.

So, she fell prey to what she studied and darkness consumed her. She knew it, and revelled in it and the power it gave her, but it was not a perfect marriage. Naiore had never known true peace within herself as a result of her choices. It conflicts at a fundamental level with her Elven nature and she pays a heavy price for that. In that respect, she's similar to Saurman.

Her innate difference in perspective to her peers and people spawns a chasm, like in Maeglin's case. Once snared by darkness, she cannot escape and comes over time to delude herself into thinking she does not want to. That's pride, the bane of the Noldor and Feanor in particular.

So, Naiore's not evil, but she is capable of immense harm and darkness that emmanates largely from within her conflicted, damaged and isolated self. The thing with evil, though, is that it can be perpetrated by people who are not inherently evil. Evil is difficult to comprehend at the best of times, which is why this simplifcation of evil is as evil does occurs (in my opinion, at least).

It's in that belief that stories of a demon, something inherently evil, who looks like an Elf, something assumed inherently good, spring up.

Her bio will provide a clear explanation of her progression from socially isolated and curious to unrepentant servant of Sauron.

Goals for the game:

Naiore's goal will be to find peace, and the only way she can is on the swords of her foe. Humiliating as death will be, it will be immensely preferrable to suicide (not considered by Elves) or showing up to turn herself in to her people or Men. Besides, she'll get great pleasure in making those of the vaunted Free Peoples take an Elven woman's life, and in someway cast question over their high ideals (which she views with immense contempt).

So for Naiore, she will move north as quickly as she can. At first she will be elimidating any lingering informants that could close the net on her. She'll also be hoping to start a new wave of terror in the Shire. She'll then change plans in view of Vanwe and Menecin and in doing so meet her end.

Naiore will find Umbar is too dangerous for her with new management in town, pushing her north. Naiore will move through Belfalas, her home land, and possibly Ithilien and again move north as it will be too "hot" for her to remain. She'll drop by Dol Amroth, and perhaps be so bold as to venture into Elessar's city (undecided). Rohan is a stomping ground of hers, which will also prove too "hot", pushing her to get through Mirkwood and across Eriador to Bree. From there it will be to Imladris and perhaps back to he Gladden Fields.

For Vanwe, her goal is to find some trace of family and survive the wreckage her mother makes of that to forge a life of her own away from the captivity of the village in the Haradwaithe. So, she'll trail her mother until they met up at Bree.

Future RP's

As Ealasaid has mentioned, this RP draws a number of characters together and will likely draw out possibilities for future RP's. From the point of view of my characters, Naiore's story ends with this one. The only way to move there is backwards. For example, Naiore's involvement in the Gladden Fields disaster of the 2nd Age.

Menecin takes ship also, ending his tale, so again only retrospective possibilities are around for RP's. For example, how survived three separate encounters with Naiore (one resulted in Vanwe, one nearly killed him and the last killed her) after she had chosen to serve Sauron. As he studied under Maglor (being a bard), there's First Age RP possibilities there connected to Maglor.

As for Vanwe, her life is just beginning in earnest at the end of this RP. How does she pick herself up and move forward? She remains in Middle-earth. Where does she go and what does she do? That's perhaps the most "un-written" character of the three.

I'll post bios for all three soon. I'm working on an opening post too.

The reason for all that homework is my impending absence. I'll be incommunicado from 7/29 to 8/8. So I'll have my first post done and sent to someone (probably Snowdog if that is OK by him) so my absence doesn't delay anybody else.

Phew, what a mouthful of comments!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight