View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
I think another point to consider is that we seem to assume that Rohan runs on a Medieval European system of primogeniture, where the oldest son/male relative is the automatic heir. To me at least, Rohan is rather more similar to a Viking/Germanic type of civilization.
The language of the Rohirrim, at least, is rendered as Anglo-Saxon, though the actual way of life they had could be similar to other cultures as well, I guess.
They, being in origin of the same mannish stock from which came the Edain and the Númenóreans, seem to have kept the same rules of inheritance.

Éomer, of course, would never have been king if not for the death of Théoden's son Théodred as part of Saruman's plot. It looks as if the plan was for Wormtongue to then arrange for Éomer's imprisonment and maybe, death, and then rule himself through Théoden.