View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #56
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Garstan sat wearily by the fire. The party had walked far on their first day of searching, though they had not yet left Edoras. There were many places to seek news, to ask if anything had been seen, to find out if the kidnappers had let drop a careless word of their plans.

Eodwine gazed absently into the flames. "A long day, Haleth," he said. "Though I fear we have nothing worthwhile to show for it. No news of Linduial was to be had."

Haleth gave his assent. "No. Not a word. It is strange, though, that a woman could be taken from the streets of Edoras, with the crowds of the fair all around, and without one bystander to have been present to witness it."

Eodwine made no reply, still staring at the flickering light. He seemed distracted, yet intent. Garstan studied the Eorl's face, wondering what was troubling him.

He tried to draw Eodwine back to the conversation, "But, my lord, surely we have learned something today. We learned that several of those on the list cannot have been involved. Æfic has been away to trade his horses, and Eadric with him. Pehthelm has been ill these last weeks and still is tended by the healers. That leaves only Sorn, Cuichelm and Fenrir."

"There are others on the list, Garstan, whom you have not mentioned. Why?" Haleth held the stoneshaper in his gaze.

Garstan returned Haleth's look. "Because they are too far from Edoras to have taken Linduial, written a letter, and had it delivered all on the same day. True, they might have sent notice of the deed before the lady was secure in their keeping, but it would be foolish to raise the alarm before she was well hidden. I do not say that we should not give them our notice, but I do say that the three I have mentioned are more likely to have been involved than those more than a day's journey from here." Garstan, more keenly aware than ever of his unequal experience, hoped that he had not pressed the issue too far.

"You speak wisely, Garstan." Haleth clapped him on the shoulder. "Then we go next to seek word of Fenrir, Sorn, and Cuichelm. What say you, Eodwine?"

Eodwine gave his agreement to the plan and lapsed back into his musings on the fire.

Garstan joined him in staring at the light, wondering how they would investigate the remaining three suspects. It had been simple to inquire about those with nothing to hide. But how much harder would it be to gather information on someone with a secret to keep?

Secrets. The word brought Garstan back to Eodwine's face. The Eorl was intent on the embers, seemingly lost in thought. He hoped that whatever troubled the Eorl would soon pass. This distraction would make Eodwine an easy mark for the kidnappers, should they be discovered while Eodwine kept his mood. Garstan would keep watch for the both of them.

The hall door opened, and two strangers, a man and a woman, entered the room.

The man spoke and his voice echoed over the room. "I've heard my wife and I can find a good meal and a place to stay here! Now, where is the eorl? And the cook, too?"

"It seems that we have visitors, my lord," Garstan said.