View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #220
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Cela was already working herself into a right temper by the time Dick walked in. Not asking my input, as if this isn’t my kitchen as much as – even more than – his. Sending the clumsy giant in to handle the dishes. Could have put him out in the stable – or to finish repairing the roof, there’s an idea – instead… And now he walked in, wanting to know what the problem was, as if it wasn’t as plain as the nose on his face! She was not bothered by the thought that he could not, of course, easily see his own nose.

“I’ll tell you what’s eating me,” she said, glaring at him. “That fellow you’ve had in here, that’s who – Jack. Broken more dishes in a day than have been broken in the past month.” As if to accentuate the point, she heard another crash just outside the kitchen door and winced. “There’s another. You might have asked him if he’d ever worked in some sort of kitchen – any sort! – before sending him in here to work with dishes,” she accused, jabbing her spoon in Dick’s direction and not even minding the little bits of broth that flew from it. “As if I don’t have enough else to deal with right now!”

She spun back around to her stew and in doing so caught sight of the very last people she would have chosen to hear that: Will and Primrose, coming in from outside.