View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #221
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick

‘Oh, so that’s it!’ Dick almost said, a longing to defend himself instantly rising in his mind. Why was she suddenly so blazing mad about it? How was he to know she didn’t like the fellow? She hadn’t said anything about it! Something about females – they always thought their minds were supposed to be read – but then when you did guess what they were thinking, they always got huffy about it!

As it turned out, Dick did not get half a chance to say anything. Cela ranted and raved, waving her spoon about in a most dangerous fashion, managed to splatter broth all over his vest front, and then as if to cap it off, Will and Primrose appeared in the doorway leading outside, just in time to hear her last few sentences.

“-Before sending him in here to work with dishes! As if I don’t have enough else to deal with right now!”

Cela finally turned away, furious, and stopped short when she saw the two young helpers in the doorway. Will and Primrose looked shocked and awkward, as well they might. There was a prolonged pause that sounded rather like a silence. Then Dick slowly and deliberately took out his pocket handkerchief and dabbed at the bit of broth on himself.

“Well, well,” he said, keeping his voice level. “It seems Miss Brandybuck and I have some things to discuss. Will, Prim – you do not mind if I ask you to step out for a few minutes? Unless you would like to put your input on the matter. I don’t know that it’s all that serious, but our dear cook seems to think it is.”