View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #227
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Will and Primrose withdrew as quickly as they could manage (it was not terribly quickly, as Primrose’s injury kept her from being too swift) and the doorway was once again empty. Dick moved his eyes back to Cela. She stood with her back to him, stirring the stew swiftly with her spoon.

“Stop that, or you’ll break the fish into tiny little bits and no one will be able to find them,” he ordered. She stopped abruptly, but still did not turn to face him. Dick drew a very deep breath and let it out slowly before he walked to the table and sat down. His feet ached from being stood upon all day and he gratefully propped them up on the chair at a diagonal with him.

“Look, Cela,” he said in a soothing a voice as he could conjure up at the moment, “the poor chap needed help. You might not’ve seen him when he came in, but he was a mess and a poor one, too. I took his last coin for the breakfast that he had here this morning. I can’t very well send a fellow off with nothing in his pockets and even less in his stomach now, can I? What’s the harm of letting the fellow work if he’s a mind to? It’ll do him more good than it will do bad to your dishes.

“Well, maybe not,” he added immediately. “But be that as it may, we can get new bowls and plates if he breaks all of ours. Don’t worry, he’ll get less clumsy the more you let him work here. Bear with me, won’t you?”