View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #229
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Now Dwarves can be as clannish as any folk. And perhaps more so, since there are a certain number that harbor a deep resentment against those chosen to be the Firstborn. Much like any child taken in by a generous parent, there is bound to be some resentment against the natural children; a feeling of being considered second rate in the eyes of the adoptive parent. And of course, it is no help to the Dwarvish sense of pride that the Firstborn have an overweening and outspoken sense of superiority.

Bívor and Bávor huddled close to Skirvir, speaking in low undertones to their cousin. ‘They’re young ones, cousin,’ Bívor offered. ‘Wet behind the ears yet. We can afford them some measure of indulgence. Don’t you think?’ Bávor nodded, saying 'perhaps', and adding the word ‘brats’, and the observation that perhaps such spoiled behavior came of overly indulgent parents.

Skirvir rubbed his forehead, wondering whether it might be easier just to accommodate the Elves. And then perhaps they would go away. And he could go back to his pleasant conversation, his food, his ale, and his pipe.

So it was with some surprise to his two cousins that Skirvir looked up toward the Elves and offered their assistance. ‘My cousin Bívor here,’ he said raising his brows to the left, ‘he plays the flute. And Bávor, there, he has a very fine voice; knows many songs.’

Bívor and Bávor raised an eyebrow each at him. ‘And……..?’ one of them prompted.

‘And I will, of course, participate.’ He poured himself another mug of ale and took a deep drink from it. Placing it carefully down in front of him he rubbed his hands together vigorously. ‘I will clap.’