Thread: Swan Wood - RPG
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #173
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jesslyn had dozed off, but let one eye open when she saw Leena hearded and helped into one of the bunks adjacent to Jesslyn's own. She lived! Leena lived, but Sir Thagon had not survived. Suddenly Jesslyn felt a swell of pity and sympathy for Leena, knowing the torn ache the woman must have been feeling. As close as Leena and Thagon had been, Jesslyn realized how hard it would be for Leena to get over such a thing. But what surprised and intrigued Jesslyn even more than Leena's supposed emotions was the conversation between Laurel and the two Elven brothers that proceeded Leena's entrance.

Gorath and Galain pulled Laurel aside, so that the three of them were standing just to the left of the foot of Jesslyn's bunk. Gorath and Galain's faces were stony with regret and yet determination as well. Jesslyn closed her eyes and pretended to be sleeping, and still she listened as carefully as she could to the conversation.

"Cartil is dying," Gorath began, and just these words sent a shiver up Jesslyn's spine. It was true! Jesslyn's worst fears were admitted right before her presence. Cartil was dying...dying! While Jesslyn just laid there and tried to recover from wounds that could have been dismissed or avoided Cartil was dying! But still Gorath was not finished. "He will not wait for your plan to be fulfilled."

"We will go and get him now. This is my fault. I am coming with you," Laurel answered with resignation and bravery that could only be admired at such a point. Still Jesslyn couldn't help but feel a tinge of anger at the woman. Why would she leave without telling Jesslyn face-to-face that Cartil was dying? Did she not want Jesslyn going along? It was Jesslyn's duty to help her brother!

Laurel was beginning to make her way out of the Healing House with Gorath and Galain, but Jesslyn wouldn't let her get away with it that easily. Jesslyn sat bolt upright in her cot and stood to chase Laurel, Gorath, and Galain as she tried to ignore the painful and dizzy feeling that was swarming her head.

"Wait!" Jesslyn called to Laurel, her voice cracking and slightly high-pitched with congestion. Laurel whipped around at a speed that surprised Jesslyn into stepping back a few paces before the black-haired girl stopped and began to eye Laurel defiantly. "Why would you go without me to go and save my own brother?"

"I owe it to you...for not telling you about him to begin with. I realized my mistake, Lady Jesslyn, which is why Leena already knows about Thagon. Please, rest!" Laurel pleeded, though Jesslyn scoffed at the woman and her wounded leg. Laurel was in no better condition than Jesslyn was!

"You need to rest! Let someone else worry about their own problems for once and take a break!" Jesslyn retorted, though deep inside she felt a great respect for Laurel and her ability to handle responsibility. Laurel shook her head vigorously and limped quickly out of the Healing House to catch up with Gorath and Galain.

Cartil's life was in their hands...