Old 02-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #23
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by Aiwendil
It still feels very strange to me to change Orodreth>Arothir. But if it must be done . . .
Still, I think we should each make a careful check of HoMe, to make sure that "Orodreth" is not used later than the note. For that note is the only place I recall "Arothir" ever appearing.
I think that before we make that change, we must be absolutely sure that it was Tolkien's last word. The thing about Orodreth's name goes a long way back to the Tale of Turambar.

As for the chapter break:
I propose that we finish with this chapter:
Quote:
§ 125 Yet now those exiles of Gondolin dwelt at the mouth of Sirion by the waves of the Great Sea [, and joined their folk to the slender company of Elwing daughter of Dior, that had fled thither little while before]. There they take the name of Lothrim, the people of the flower, for Gondolindrim is a name too sore to their hearts; and fair among the Lothrim Eärendil grows in [the Isle of Sirion in] the [snow-white stone] house of his father, and the great tale of Tuor is come to its waning.'
That way we can begin our next chapter as in the Quenta Noldorinwa:
Quote:
Yet by Sirion and the sea there grew up an elven folk, the gleanings of Gondolin and Doriath[.]The Silmaril brought blessing upon them and Idril wore the Elessar upon her breast and they were healed, and they multiplied; and from Balar the mariners of Círdan came among them, and they took to the waves and {the making of fair ships}the building of ships and built a haven, dwelling ever nigh unto the shores of Arvernien, upon the delta amid the waters under the shadow of Ulmo's hand. Many fugitives gathered unto them. FG-C-28
I'm still thinking that there might be a way as to introduce the Lay of Eärendel in the beginning of the next chapter in order to use in the narrative.
As for the Horns of Ylmir, I would hope that there is a way as to salvage it in order to use it in the main narrative, but if that is to be done, unfortunately that evades my skill with the english language. Perhaps in the Appendix of our work it could be included.

Regarding Rog:
I'm of the opinion that we should both keep his name and his deeds in our main narrative. I know that lindil was voiced his opinion against this, but I feel that we would loose a lot of the story if we keep him out. As a matter of fact, I don't think we will be perfectly satisfied in this point. What I suggest is that we keep him, and if we find in the future some evidence that invalidates the presence of Rog, we could remove him. Until such an observation, I would keep him as we have.