View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #24
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
I think that before we make that change, we must be absolutely sure that it was Tolkien's last word. The thing about Orodreth's name goes a long way back to the Tale of Turambar.
Exactly. It's one of the only names I can think of that was so well entrenched and then, apparently, altered in just a single note.

I think that your idea for the chapter break is good, not least because we preserve the beginning point of the Tale of Earendil from Q30.

Quote:
I'm still thinking that there might be a way as to introduce the Lay of Eärendel in the beginning of the next chapter in order to use in the narrative.
As for the Horns of Ylmir, I would hope that there is a way as to salvage it in order to use it in the main narrative
I agree regarding both poems. I can see, perhaps, opening the Earendil chapter with the alliterative fragment.

"The Horns of Ulmo" is trickier. Squatter is quite correct about the damage done by the loss of symmetry. I don't think that it cripples the poem, but it does make it weaker. I will look at the poem when I get time and see if I can think of some way to salvage it.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote