View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 03:37 AM   #9
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadrial's 'power' existed in her own land only, and at any rate, it was certainly considerably less than that of Sauron, who remember was himself personally present in Dol Guldor -- or so it was believed -- at the time of the attack. A vague extending of 'magical power' from Lothlorien would not have shifted Sauron had he been there, and anyway, is an entirely implausible thing to suggest happening. No-where else has this method of aggression been employed by anyone wishing to mount an attack on an established and powerful stronghold, with, what's more, an established and powerful Maia within it. In fact it was never been used on any stronghold, not even a small one. It is an impossible thing to do. It would appear, from the evidence of Doriath, Rivendell and Lorien, that the power to spiritually defend a land in this way was possible in some circumstances and with some powers, but to launch an offensive in this way was impossible.

Gondor, I do not believe, would have taken part in the attack on Dol Guldor. I hav often wondered about this myself, but I would say with some certainty that it was the Elves of Lorien, Rivendell and perhaps Thranduil -- though he himself and an army were busy with Five Armies, he could conceivably have sent one south for the assistance of the Council -- would have been the troops that undertook the assault. That, I think, is why we don't know much about it. Quite little of the actions of Lorien are really known in much detail; it is probably taken for granted that it was them that staged the attack. Presumably they would have marched on Dol Guldor, perhaps fought an army of Orcs and destroyed it, and layed siege to Dol Guldor itself. The defenders would largely have either been slaughtered or escaped southwards (see below) -- Sauron had already departed himself. One or two Nazgul were probably left behind to direct the defense and stay to inhabit the place.

Since Dol Guldor was not actually destroyed, I think it probable that it was not taken in this battle. Surely if they had, then it would have been destroyed and its power broken, as happened in the War of the Ring? It is possible that they laid siege to it and destroyed a large army of Orcs, and then gave chase to the retreaters. Then, seeing that the place was largely abandoned, left warily, knowing that while the place was greatly diminished it was still inhabited. It would have been fearful to them. The Nazgul would have helped achieve this. They had succeeded in their goal of driving out the 'Necromancer', I suppose. They were not there to actually destroy Dol Guldor.

Alternatively, Dol Guldor may have appeared lifeless and totally deserted, so they did not judge that they needed to enter it particularly except to have a look around, perhaps, before they left. A slight sense of dread and uncanniness may have entered their minds, making them how no wish to stay, but anything tangible may have been hidden. The Orcs, and the Nazgul, hidden deep in the famous dungeons and caverns. When the army retreated, Dol Guldor would then lain low for a while before rising up again when Sauron declared his presence again in Mordor.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote