View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #38
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

Talendur took a long swig of coffee before beginning. "My life story is long and you would soon grow bored. A brief summary of it would suit you better." As he said those words, Aerandir and Pervasaion leaned forward to listen.

"My mother died giving birth to me, and I have no memory of her," Talendur began. My father Berenor, a descendant of King Araphant who once ruled Arnor, was the one who raised me. Berenor was one of the best rangers there was, also, he was a personal friend of the King Elessar. At a young age, I was already learning the arts of war from my father. He trained me in the use of the longsword—my choice weapon—and the bow, which I also excelled at.

. “By the time I was in my teens, I could perform all of the crafts of the rangers better than any other of my age. I could tread almost as soundlessly as a hobbit, run like a horse of Rohan, track orcs for many days, and fight like a cornered animal. I even bettered some elves with the bow, and beat experienced rangers in sword-fights. Life was good for me then, and my father was very proud.

“Then things changed the day I turned 16. My father, seven other Dunedain and I were journeying near the woody western slopes of the Misty Mountains near Dunland. Berenor had gone scouting that morning, but by late afternoon, he was not back. I remembered that I was not worried about him, perhaps only a little nervous. By nightfall, he was still not back, and then our party of rangers began to believe something was wrong. Then, the ranger on watch said that he could barely hear many people slowly moving through the wood.

“At once, we were set upon by a band of marauders. They were criminals and outlaws from all over Eriador, and they fought savagely to capture food and supplies. Immediately the watch and two other rangers were cut down in the fury of the attack, and the five that remained formed a circle and fought off their opponents from all sides. Our number dwindled to four, then three, and finally there was only a veteran warrior named Ostoher and I left. The ruthless outlaws plundered our Dunedain camp while others kept Ostoher and I engaged. As they fought, a huge outlaw wielding a pike came at my undefended back. Ostoher leapt in front of him and took the force of the blow before slaying the outlaw with his sword. Then, just as quickly as they had appeared, they were gone, and I remembered hearing the marauders dashing hard through the woods to get away. They had successfully destroyed the Dunedain campsite, but at a cost of 15 lives of their men.

“I tended Ostoher's wound, but he knew it was fatal. Before he died, Ostoher made me promise to watch out for his son, who was two years younger than I was. Even at that moment, I felt extreme guilt that Ostoher was dying because he saved me. I made the promise to make sure his son did not get into any trouble, and thus I ended up looking after Sulohtar—the exact opposite of his father. Sulohtar is not honorable, wise or enduring like Ostoher had been. He is moody, foolish, hot-tempered and a complainer. However, I still feel guilty for causing his father’s death, so I always treat him respectfully, no matter how he responds in return. Then Ostoher died, and I was alone in the wood with no food or shelter.

“After the horrible battle, I remained waiting for my father at the campsite, but he never returned. To this day 10 years later, I still have not seen him. "Perhaps he is dead," I sometimes think, but I have not given up searching for my lost father.

“Deciding that Berenor would not return, I began to walk northwards, for the marauders had taken our horses as well. Nasty gashes were bleeding badly from my right arm and side, so when I finally walked into a Dunlending village a few hours later, I collapsed. The Dunlendings cared for me and even gave me a steed of the Rohirrim after I was well again. That mare was the mother of my current mount Caranduial, and she served me well for many years before goblin arrows brought about her death. Since that day long ago, I have sworn and oath to find out my father's fate. Searching, always searching for my father, while supervising a moody, self-centered teen. Life is so much harder than it used to be. My father was my closest kinsman as well as my friend. If I find that he is dead, I will certainly vow to hunt down and slay all of those who killed him. If he is alive, I will be a happy man.”

Talendur ended his narrative, and took another long swig, for he had talked himself dry. “It going to be a nice day today,” he remarked casually before becoming silent once more.