View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 AM   #24
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

As much as I like to gripe about the movies, I must admit that they have done one or two things for me.

I was a longtime fan of the book well before the world knew of PJs plans to film live action versions, having already read it probably a dozen times.

After seeing TTT at the theatre, I felt an overwhelming need to talk to other Tolkien fans, to discuss and mostly to vent my frustrations! So I searched around on the internet, and without much ado found The Barrow Downs. Over the years since joining, this site has afforded me a great deal of pleasure and entertainment. The creators, moderators and administrators of this site have created a warm and friendly environment in which to discuss Tolkien's works and gain further, deeper appreciation of his fantasy realms, with a site design that has made this my favourite website by a significant margin.

The making of the movies afforded me a chance to be an Orc extra, and for three days away from university I had the absolute best time ever, playing Orc under glorious winter blue skies on the central volcanic plateau of the North Island. I still can't believe they paid me for that experience... I would have paid them!

The movies have also reaffirmed my love for the book, in that I have taken changes, omissions and additions to heart. Before TTT came out, I had no idea how attached I had become to Tolkien's written word.

One of the great things that I took away from the movies, particularly ROTK, is the heartwarming friendship between Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. While all the elements are present in the script and no embellishment was necessary, it was quite something to see them up on the screen, portrayed by real people with real emotions coming to the forefront. I was so affected by this that when it came time for Frodo to sail west, I found myself crying in the theatre, which I have not done for any other movie (although I came close in both The Last Starfighter and Rabbit-Proof Fence). That said, I was also drawing on the very emotional last chapter of the book.

I must also mention PJs achievements as a director. Although I disagree with him on many points, I appreciate the work he did to get the movies backed, and film all three simultaneously. Having seen the props and costumes close up, I also appreciate the work that Richard Taylor and Ngila Dickson performed. Every item was so lovingly crafted! So, I guess I'm saying that the LOTR movies have given me an appreciation for the art of moviemaking in general.