View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #27
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My guess is that this will not be packaged as the "pure" Hobbit but as the prelude to PJ's Lord of the Rings. If that is the case, it is to their commercial advantage to push this film out prior to 2012 while their prior audience is still alive and clamoring for more. Whether or not that's possible, I have no idea.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a PG-13 label on the movie. In order to emphasize the ties with the earlier films, there is a good chance we'll see brief flashes in the background of what Gandalf is doing and the growing awareness of Sauron. If anything, I think we might even see Sauron as the necromancer peeping over the edges of the film.

I could be wrong, but I can't see PJ doing a "classic" hobbit as a children's story which is also capable of being enjoyed by adults. It will likely have much the same feel of the earlier movies. The dangers on the road will surely be "darkened" and flashes of horror added.

To what extent will the humor be emphasized? I'm less certain of that. Since PJ, rightly or wrongly, used Gimli for comic relief, I would be curious to see how he portrays the Dwarves in this situation.

And what about the physical similarities of the landscapes in the two films? Will Rivendell be a carbon copy? That's a lot different than Tolkien's last homely house in the actual Hobbit.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-11-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote