View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #90
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Jim "Scoop" Johnstone here and Round 3's predictions turned out to be significantly better than Round 2. I managed 9-7, in calling games correctly, if it weren't for a few unexpected ties that would be much better! That brings the total to 15-17, and I'm looking to shoot that prediction record up now that it's playoff time and there are no nasty draws! Now we get a clear cut winner, and the champion is decided in a playoff system, as is the right way of crowning a champion!

These games will be significantly tougher to predict, there are no more Isengard cupcakes teams can beat up on, and you lose, you're gone, there is no room for teams to slip up. Now it's time to offer in-depth, unbiased, and the best analysis of each match you will ever find.

Match 1: Angband v. Romenna

What a mighty even first game match this is...Romenna's stout defense and well organized team vs. the powerful might and scary scoring threat of Angband. Usually I would take the ability to score a goal at anytime in the match as the winner, however in Cup in a parallel universe, a well-organized Iraq team gave the offensive powerhouse Spain one heck of a game.

Romenna lost their last match to Valimar, but Valimar is probably slightly more talented than Angband. Angband comes off a win against Alqualonde, but it was a pretty lackluster perfomance...and now there are questions about whether the goodie-two-shoes Hurin and Gwindor want to play for their team. Those two think they have completely clean hands...ha...ha, but if Angband wants to advance far in the tournament Hurin will definitely have to get evil.

Angband's offensive ability will outmatch Romenna, and Carcharoth will continue to improve from his last preformance. Angband wins 2-1...and I will also predict the guy named Tar will get the goal for Romenna. Do I pick up an extra point?

Match 2: Nargothrond v. Tol-in-Gaurhoth

Poor Nargothrond to get this opponent in the first round. But maybe it's good, because everyone in the Soccer community knows TIG has been a major letdown so far. The fans have lost some of that swagger after a disappointing group play showing...and the team may have lost their swagger too. That's not good, because guys need swagger, they need to know they are better and they will go out and beat you on the field. If a team doesn't have that, they might as well go home now, because they aint winning this tournament, let alone beating anyone in it!

Positively though, TIG is not facing Miriel, and no one on Nargothrond can even come close to Miriel's ability...so at least morm-"Swiss Cheese"-wolf should be able to handle GK and hopefully the FWs will step up their game, because right now I'd rather have Natalie Portman, a t-bone steak, and a basket of mozarella sticks as the TIG forwards, because at least they will be appetizing to watch. Where was I...oh yes, match prediction...Draw 2-2, but TIG will take it in a shootout.

Match 3: Hithlum v. Taniquetil

Taniquetil is lucky to be here, there is no motivation, no passion. They believe if Eru wills them to win, they will win, and there is nothing the can do about it. Bogus, I say. The team that will win this tournament, will win it, because they play the best soccer...and that team is not going to be Taniquetil.

Hithlum's got high expectations, and so far they may not have lived quite up to it, drawing with Minas Morgul in their group (but Minas Morgul is an unexpected surprise so far!) The point is, Hithlum is in, they're up against a talented team, but a team that is entirely unmotivated. It's playoff time, which means it's Feanor time, and he will show up all the phantasy managers dumping him faster than a hot potato for that rotten Miriel. Hithlum wins 2-0.

Match 4: Eregion v. Dor-Lomin

It's a surprise to me that Dor-Lomin is here, but Turin still is not a premier player. What did he have in the must win match against Doriath? Oh that's right, one assist. And of course now he is up against the strongest defensive team in the tournament. I challenge anyone to put up more than 2 goals against Eregion. Dor-Lomin's own defense has been shaky, if Eregion gets 2 goals on them (and they will) it's over. Eregion wins 2-1.

Match 5: Armenolos v. Erebor

On paper this looks like it won't be a contest, Armenolos is too powerful, and unstoppable with Sauron playing at the level that he is. It doesn't matter what he's planning, alone, in the clubhouse - away from the rest of the team. Whatever he's doing it's working, and the team feels it's working too, because Armenolos dominated everyone in their group. And unlike some other groups, that was one of the tougher ones, any one of the 4 teams had a good shot a winning or advancing. Armenolos has shown up ready to play.

Though I suspect the tough to tame dwarves, and the most charming and lovable dragon there is, Smaug, will have some fight in him. This could be an off-game for Sauron, as the Dwarves will prove to be tough foes against him, as they always have been. Too bad for Erebor, that Armenolos has many more weapons at their disposal. Armenolos wins 3-1.

Match 6: Edoras v. Minas Morgul

This is probably the toughest match of the 1st playoff round to call. Edoras who has not given up a goal yet, but they have only played the Taniqantscore bums, the Borethonion slugheads, and The not even good enough to get a corny name Shirelings. Minas Morgul will be a true test to Edoras' defense...and this is the match I am more looking forward to. Because Minas Morgul has proven they can put up points, and points against tough defensive teams like Hithlum and Gondolin.

Edoras has an under-rated offensive ability, and their comradarity as a team is unrivalled, but ultimately Minas Morgul has hands down the best player on the field and he's got 3 of his Nazgul who will come to his call on the defense. Theoden finally breaks and so does Edoras, it was a good showing for them, but they are a few stars short of having a really dominant team. Minas Morgul wins 3-2.

Match 7: Tuna v. Mirkwood

This will be another offensively dominated match, you can forget about the defenses. For no amount of odds will I predict this game will end 1-0. Miriel v. Scatha...edge Tuna. Finwe v. Legolas...edge Tuna. Nerdanel v. Thranduil...edge Tuna...you see the point don't you? Tuna's offense is even better than last tournament, and last tournament they scared a lot of teams, but defense was their undoing.

But before I actually trash both defenses, it's necessary to point out the addition of Aule at GK for Tuna, who has been pretty impressive so far, and against some capable offenses too, like TIG and Gondor. Tuna might not rely on defense, but they are going to tell every opponent, "Go ahead try to put up 4 goals on us" because that's what it will take to knock them off. Mirkwood has some firepower, but not that much. Tuna wins 4-2.

Match 8: Valimar v. Minas Tirith

Poor Minas Tirith, it's been an impressive and good tournament for them, but Valimar is just too much for them. Aragorn will surely give his guys a speech that will heat the blood and stir the mind, but speeches don't win matches. Aragorn has not seen an enemy like Melkor, they will fast find themselves down 2-0 and the Minas Tirith defenders will be clueless to how it happened. Valimar wins 3-1.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-19-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote