View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel's ring was not 'offensive in nature'. There is no hint anywhere that I am aware of that indicates that the [elven] Ring would help against Sauron or the Nazgul. Elrond is quite specific about this in the Council of Elrond.

What enabled Galadriel/Lorien to withstand the Sauron and the Nine was [all military forces aside] I think the same innate power that allowed Finrod to go toe to toe with Sauron, albeit briefly, still, one Sauron doubtless remembered, and then no sooner than he defeats Finrod, than Luthien comes and humiliates and defeats him, and what pupil di d Melian have beside her own daughter?
Galadriel had in addition to the same level [more or less we may assume] of being/power of Finrod did in the fisrt age, ahd an unknown type of apprenticiship with melian, 2 more ages to cultivate her power and being. the advantage of having lived for an indeterminate amount of time in a mini-valinor and great purity of purpose.

While no Melian, she was at that time probably the most powerful Elf to have ever lived in Middle-Earth. I would surmise that only Thingol [who it is said in the Silm was 'given ' or loaned power by Melian] would have compared.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.