View Single Post
Old 12-03-2001, 06:10 PM   #22
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good topic Mith! I haven't read many disagreements with you so I will give my perspective to the debate.
I think that it is important to remember that no-one was sure that the Ithil stone had fallen into the hands of Sauron, there were suspicions but no proof until the Orthanc stone was found. Denethor used the stone more and more leading up to his fall, and in doing so fell under the corrupting influence of Sauron, who, not being fully able to corrupt him, instead decieved him, showing great armies coming from Mordor and Osgiliath, and possibly mispresented the fleet coming from Umbar, led by Aragorn. Could anyone have hope when the situation was thus presented?
Aragorn said he managed to wrench the Orthanc stone away from the will of Sauron, but only just, and he was the rightful user of the stone. Could Denethor, then, have the ability to wrench the stone away from Sauron, the stones being primarily communicatory devices? I think that despite his nobility and great will he did not have the strength.
Based on this premise, I would have to conclude that many of Denethor's actions were based on the deceit of Sauron (master of lies?). Who knows when Denethor first looked into the stone? After his wife's death? Could this account for his abrupt change of character? Could of of his covetousness of his position be based on thelies of Sauron? Or perhaps the honeyed tongue of a corrupted Saruman, who had long been ensnared by Sauron ( since before the rise of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur or even since he moved into Orthanc, being slowly corrupted and ensnared by Sauron?). I do admit that his pride &c. could have been based on the disbelief that the heir of Isildur lived, which would give suchj a proud man the idea that he had the right to rule, even to be king, and that the arguments of Sharku and Mith and Merith have a lot of merit, but has anyone thought of the situation in that way? Have I just simplified JRRT's own opinion (I hope not)?
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"