View Single Post
Old 11-08-2000, 10:27 PM   #51
Saulotus
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saulotus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Man who fotgot his name

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> by The Black Lieutenant
If you could, please elaborate on the two candidates you mentioned for being possible true identities of MoS, and why you think they are candidates. Also include references to specific books wherein I might read more about them.<hr></blockquote>

Taken from my post earlier in the thread:
&quot;I speculated on another board that Herumor might be a candidate for the Mouths identity. It would prolly be like more apt to be Fuinur tho. Herumor was a nice idea to tie in with the NEW SHADOW, but Fuinur is the more likely choice in all reality of named and important Black Numenoreans. The name Herumor is known in the Fourth Age, so it doesn't get as high marks as Fuinur. Both these are high ranking Black Numenoreans in the service of Sauron in the Second Age and are nearly equal in choice for the Mouths original name&quot;.

You have asked for elaboration;
As speculated from text on when the Mouth entered service, conditions that must be met to remain within text, and other factors, two names come forward: Herumor and Fuinur.
I mentioned that initially Herumor is the more pleasing choice (the recurring villian to the House of Telcontar ala Sauron), however it doesn't fit with the text. Since the Mouth has forgotten his name, it makes no sense textwise as to why it would suddenly re-appear as remembered in the 4th Age, which leaves Fuinur as the logical choice by text.
As for why these two names; please revisit the post earlier in the thread explaining the Mouths history.

As for source material for the names; they are in SILMARILLION; Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> by The Black Lieutenant
Elsewhere it has been suggested that there were more than one Mouth of Sauron, and that was why he was rumoured to be of such great age.<hr></blockquote>
I know of no theory presented textwise that substantiates this in any way. It sounds COMPLETELY suspect as fanciful speculation based in no part on text in any book. Quite frankly; it sounds as though someone is grasping at spectral straws.

</p>
Saulotus is offline   Reply With Quote