View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #76
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
The Battle of Evermore of course.
The amusing thing is that Plant and Page totally deny that they were influenced by Tolkien when writing their lyrics (see Hammer Of The Gods, definitive Zep bio), but the evidence against them is a bit heavy. The Battle of Evermore mentions Ringwraiths, Ramble On mentions Gollum and Misty Mountain Hop is self-explanatory. The fact that Jimmy Page at this stage used to go on stage dressed as a wizard only adds to it all.

Hmm, I have some more to add to the list of music. If you like The Battle of Evermore how about Fairport Convention's album Liege And Leaf? Sandy Denny who sings on 'Battle..' was the late singer for Fairport. A lot of the old late 60s/early 70s acid folk songs make me think of Tolkien; Vashti Bunyan's album Just Another Diamond Day is Hobbit music - simple, delicate and whimsical. Then finally there's Kate Rusby's Underneath The Stars - beautiful...

Oh, and if you want something to remind you of something darker in Tolkien's work, the very scary Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin always makes me think of the scene where the Witch-king threatens to take Eowyn off to the Houses of Lamentation. Brrrr!