View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #19
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
My, my, it's been a long time since I posted anything on this site!

Basically, I went to the cinema not expecting too much. Certainly it would not live up to the LotR films, but it would hopefully be more entertaining/visually stunning than The Dark Knight Rises.

I guess my review is going to be very confused, because the movie itself left me a bit, er, thrown? I enjoyed the part in Bag End. It was clean, it was funny, and it was more or less true to the book. I also liked the scene with Gollum.

What I did not like was pretty much the rest of the film. PJ deviates from the very spirit of the book, making it too comic in some places (rabbits pulling a sledge?) and too serious in others (actually, this, for me, was mostly a Thorin issue; the guy looked like he was suffering from severe constipation throughout the film). It stretched for far too long with too little plot, and Radagast looked like he'd leapt out of Narnia. It was like a bizarre blend between a children's movie and an adult's one, and lacked the nostalgic element that was evident in the book.

I'd give it 3/5 stars, and that's being pretty generous. It was on par with Prince Caspian.

I'll stop with my ranting now.

Last edited by Galadriel; 10-24-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote