View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #173
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

Rauthain sat by the fire feeling old and worn as he watched the flames hiss, drifting over the black wood. At the center, such intense heat and tremulous light, the wood greyed, and turning to dust, was spent. Long years of strength gone in so very few moments, so terribly few. He was tired.

It was good to sit for a while, feeling it’s warmth on his face, losing some of his thoughts to it. The day had seemed longer than its accustomed allowance. Indeed, it appeared to have stretched back many unfortunate years for both Dúlrain and himself. For Rauthain had been following the conversation closely as Amandur had soothed Dúlrain’s conscience, explaining his own part in Kaldir’s misfortune as well. At many points in the discourse he had longed to get up and leave their presence, for it seemed too much for him to bear, playing heavily upon his mind. But instead he had turned inward, struggling to set his thoughts on clearer matters. News of Tallas death added more fury to the storm brewing in his heart and to his conviction that they must not risk losing Naiore’s trail, but must try to overtake her before she could approach Imladris. Through her too much harm had come to too many. But the odds would not be in their favor once the others had rode on ahead. Just two of them then, left against five. He would have preferred that they had a larger number, but it was not to be helped. And what of Kaldir’s own search. Could he be counted upon if their paths happened to converge? The ranger glanced at Dúlrain, thinking how to better their chances. Not tasting the supper that was before him.

The hobbit, he reasoned, might be easily caught if he strayed from the rest, and might even be dissuaded from her employ now that he had time to savor Naiore’s style. But still that would leave four. And it was his fervent wish that no one ranger should be drawn away to face Naiore alone, for her insight might prove disarming and her words treacherous. Many there were who had found their doom in her silken speech.

“Do they hold any answers?” he heard a soft voice whisper. Taken back by her words, he raised his face to see the Léspheria standing by the fire, cradling a cup of tea. “The flames, do they hold answers?” she repeated looking at the two and nodding toward the fire.

Quickly catching her meaning Dúlrain laughed, “Nay Lady, But some of my questions perhaps you can answer?”

“If I can I will,” she smiled.

Rauthain listened with renewed interest as Dúlrain asked of Kaldir and the traveling companions he had accompanying him in Bree. The same it appeared, that he himself had seen earlier. And though Amandur joining in had offered sound reasoning regarding the southern woman’s place in Kaldir’s train, it did not seem to fit the few moments Rauthain had seen them together. He knew of bounty hunters, and those that were successful did not hazard to indulge in more than limited civility toward their captives. Kaldir was successful, but what had witnessed from the hillside seemed a glimpse of a more temperate link.

Still it was reassuring to know that this Miss Nightshade was not from a tribe that had been aligned with the Dark Lord, though he found it distasteful Kaldir would seek the bounty held for such a one.

Sheltering these thoughts in his heart, he rose with Dúlrain as the others prepared to depart. "Namaarie ar quel fara, melloneamin!" (Farewell and good hunting, my friends), Léspheria called as she swung easily to the saddle. Amandur and Maethor also bade them farewell. "It may yet be that some of what has been done can be undone, if our faith in our friends is strong enough." Léspheria held them in her gaze for a time, smiling before she urged her horse eastward.

Left alone, Dúlrain and Rauthain stood watching the others vanish into the landscape. “I have quite recently seen Kaldir with the woman and hobbit you described,” Rauthain spoke as they watched. “And to my eye they could not have hoped to be caught by any other bounty seeker than this new Dunedain variety. For they seem unusually hale and well cared for,” he said to ease Dúlrain’s mind. “In this at least Kaldir has not changed. He takes meticulous care of those left in his charge.”

“Yes, of this trait I am well acquainted,” Dúlrain acknowledged searching Rauthain’s expression, his eyes finally resting on the ranger’s wounded cheek.

Remembering then his hurt, Rauthain turned away and began gathering his few things before they too left this place. He did not yet care to speak of his own rough treatment at the hands of Kaldir, and hoped that Dúlrain would not question him, for he had trusted it was not exemplary of the man. “Let us also make haste before the light fails.”

“How came you by that wound Rauthain?” Dúlrain asked pointedly, noticing the ranger’s self-consciousness. “It is new and it is even. Why are you reluctant to speak of it?”

“It was though my own folly I received this. Should a man speak of his own folly willingly?” Rauthain responded.

“But what have you done that would earn such a mark?”

“Perhaps it is what I have not done,” he said softly, straightening up. “But then again, it is perhaps what I have done,” he nodded.

“Speak plainly,” Dúlrain insisted.

“By Kaldir’s hand I received this, as I see you may have guessed. Though I do not think it typical of him even now, to smite a friend.”

“Then you say you are not his friend?”

“I say he does not call me friend nor brother, though the truth be otherwise.” Rauthain confided. “ I happened upon their group in the mists of the morning, and though it was the first time I had beheld his face since that day at the headwaters of the Mitheithel, I have no doubt that he has cursed mine a source of great disappointment through these many years.” Rauthain paused in thought. “You said in Bree that by abandoning him to his fate I am as guilty as the one we now seek, and you were right. I have suffered greatly for it and now I have been branded also, so that I may never forget. Do not judge Kaldir harshly by the choice he has made, or me by my past. ”

“So you did not part on good terms.”

“I have lost many in life that I hold dear: wife, son and countless friends. But I lost Kaldir because I held his skill in too high regard; in truth I lost him because he never let me know of any imperfection. I do not intend for it to happen again. And unless he has become a minion of Naiore’s, Kaldir has a friend whether he wants me or not. Amandur said that we could do no more for him unless he asks for help, but I do not agree. Kaldir will never ask. He would die alone first.”

With that the ranger strode off to his horse, not having the heart to speak further.

Dúlrain stared after him for a time before he too made ready, in the silence.

They made good time while the light lasted and even into the night when they risked torchlight.

Several days they continued without seeing any others, but always following the footsteps of those who passed this way ahead of them. By the time they had reached the Great East Road the pony they followed was showing signs of a stilted gait and soon afterward the tracks become muddled. Stopping there, Dúlrain and Rauthain rested for a while hoping that they might gain fresh news from any traveler that happened along the road, but finding none, they entered the desolate Lone Lands.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:42 PM December 08, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]