View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NogrodtheGreat View Post
This is interesting and perhaps correct, but it is belied by Sauron's utter patience and meticulousness in his take down of the Numenoreans. In some sense he was supremely rational in the way he went about it. I think in the end you are correct - Sauron wanted to destroy them, but not only because of his hatred. He wanted Numenor out of the geopolitical picture, for one.
Yes, I think that's true - I think I might have explored similar ideas in an earlier post. I just think that the issue of his malice contributes better to our understanding of why he destroyed them rather than trying to incorporate them into his regime. I think we probably have three complimentary reasons:

1) To limit the resistance to him in Middle-earth and eliminate a rival for power.
2) Because they would have been too difficult to wholly absorb into an existing empire (especially, in my view, the way he would have wanted: with himself as their King and God, not just the High Priest of an illusory divinity who manipulated their de jure leader).
3) Because he hated them and wanted revenge.