View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM   #18
Elora
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Falco Boffin

Falco sized up the Man who strode over to their table openly. More trouble.... though he has some sense, he grudgingly allowed. Still, like as not, he'll go tramping about loudly, sword waving and trumpeting his presence all the way to the White Towers. When Falco noticed the tall Ranger, the Man, return his frank stare, he was immediately gripped by a worrying notion that perhaps he had spoken his thoughts aloud.

So concerning was that, Falco missed most of what was said by the two other Elvish Troubles. His worry was soon replaced by the gripping need for someone of leadership worth to step forward. No sooner had Esgallhugwen concluded, Falco burst forth.

He stood, thumbs planted behind his striking red braces, and adopted his most official looking stance, softened by a magnaminous smile that he bestowed on all and sundry.

"Shirrif Falco Boffin at your service. Some here I know," and he nodded with largesse at Doderic, Anson and Gorby, "and some here I have yet to know.

"Seems to me that the sensible thing to do is appoint a leader who is accustomed to such responsibility and authority. This leads me to my own skills." Falco drew a deep breath and Doderic frowned at Gorby who audibly groaned. When ever Falco stood like that, and breathed like that, it would take hours before he'd said his piece.

"Far be it from me to sing my own praises. A humble nature is my blessing, as my dear mother would say. But you did ask us we offer and so it is my duty to make my skills plain to you. As Shirrif, I am a leader amongst my community. I am trusted to uphold order and peace in a respectible Hobbit town called Bywater.

My name may be familiar to you. I'm no stranger to the hardships of battle. I was there at the Battle of Bywater and did my fair share, more than fair it was said. But someone had to do and I do no shirk from nasty or frightening work.

"Now, aside from being a staunch pillar of order, I'm also an expert in sorting out disputes, and taking into custody those as don't recognise the sancity of the law." With that, Falco's gaze slid to Falowik. Uien's face became cold and still and Falco looked away. He hoped it looked casual and not hurried as he pressed on.

"Whether it's a lost pig or a messenger, I can find and retrieve and know who the rightful owner is. I'm good a supporting myself," Falco patted his ample stomach proudly in demonstration. "Rumour has it that I keep the best larder and cellar in Bywater and with the Green Dragon as a neighbour that's no mean feat-"

"Yes, thankyou Shirrif Boffin," Doderic said as gently as he could. Falco deflated a little, having only just gotten into his rhythm. It was a little demoralising to have a senior officer cut you short. He persisted to make his point clear.

"Ah, of course, Sir... in closing, I think it wise that we appoint as leader someone accustomed to lead. Someone who commands respect. Someone with some sense." Tapping his curly head, Falco finally subsided and sat down with a pleased grin. He was certain her'd made his case clear. Who else should be leader? He was the Shirrif? The matter was as simple as that.

Anson rolled his eyes and Doderic shook his head to clear it from Falco's ample words. Falco meanwhile dared another glance at Uien, who had looked so dire for no good reason at all. He found her looking squarely at him, as if from great distance.

Nothing but Big Trouble, he thought. When the woman ranger named Finėwen said, "Big trouble?" in query, Falco stiffened. He had spoken his thoughts aloud!

"This whole conundrum.... big trouble," he amended quickly. Finėwen nodded in understanding and Uien was smiling, he was certain. She was smiling, drat the Elf!
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight