View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #36
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As the final vote was cast and a few final words were given, the group scattered in their own ways. The hobbits went to visit old friends, Uien and Falowik both left, and the others seemed to have other things on their minds. Lumiel sat for a few minutes at the table, looking around. There were not many people, not as many as she had on occasion seen at the Green Dragon Inn, yet still she felt the press of them. Too many people still she thought. She wondered for a moment if she would ever become accustomed to people. .The hobbits seemed kind enough, I liked them...but the other elves.... It wasn't that she did not like the elves, but rather that she felt out of place. Her few memories of her elve family made her nervous at the thought of other elves: Would they accept her? Would she be an outcast? Could she forfill her promise? She pushed the thoughts aside. Now was not the time to be questioning herself. She knew the elves would be trustworthy and more than needed on the journey ahead.

Looking around, she saw the young lady, Finewen, sitting alone at the bar. She seemed bright and youthful to her first appraisal, and it was something that Lumiel felt echoed in her own heart. She stood up and walked quietly over to the bar and took a seat next to Finewen who was at the moment sipping at a drink.

"Finewen, am I correct?" asked Lumiel with a small smile on her face.

Finewen seemed to be concentrating on something else but turned to face Lumiel when she heard her name. "Yes, and you're Lumiel?" she asked in the same congenial manner.

Lumiel nodded her head and went on. "You seemed to be in much the same position as me, in need of company to pass the time. I must admit, I certainly did not expect to see so many women here, though it makes it easier in a way I suppose." she said. She ordered a light ale and passed a coin to the man behind the bar as she raised the glass to her lips, taking a sip. A slight grimace passed over her face and she set down the glass again. "Never did like the taste of ale much. But they don't have much else in the way of variety around here." she spoke softly, a warm, friendly smile on her face as her eyes twinkled in the somewhat dimmed light.