View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 01:33 AM   #135
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Tomba stood quietly by Bullroarer, hopping nervously from one foot to the other. His cheeks were bulging with food he had crammed into his mouth from his well laden plate, and his eyes sparkled with merriment as he watched the other companions give their gifts to Daisy.

Carefully setting his plate on the table next to him, he washed down the last of the mouthful with a drink of spiced cider, and pulled hard at the bottom of Bullroarer's vest. 'Is it my turn, yet?' he whispered, drawing the older Hobbit's attention.

Bullroarer motioned for him to wipe the last of the crumbs from round his mouth, and set a small packet wrapped in a bright yellow bandana (one of Bullroarer's largish handkerchiefs his wife had so graciously packed for him!)into the waiting lad's hands. 'Go on now.' he urged Tomba, giving him a little push toward Daisy.

Surprisingly shy for lad who's had to live by his wits for sometime, he shuffled up to her, and turning quite red, placed it before her. She raised her big eyes to him, and he blushed an even deeper shade.

Daisy opened it carefully, admiring the hanky which was large enough for her to roll and tie back her curls. 'Oh!' she gasped as she saw what he had given her. It was a brand new sling, made of strong leather, and oiled til it shone. With it were some twenty rounded stones, the size of quail eggs, all cleaned and polished by hand until they gleamed. She smiled in delight at it and grinned at Tomba, thanking him.

He beamed with pride, then leaned close to her and whispered. 'It wasn't just me. Bullrorarer cut the leather for it, but I oiled it. And I was the one who knew where to find all those good stones for it!'

She leaned close to him and gave him a shy kiss on the cheek. 'It's lovely! Thank you! The both of you!' she said, raising her voice so that Bullroarer would hear her.

He winked and her and nodded. And winked again, this time at Tomba, who had retreated once again to the safety of his plate of food.

Bullroarer leaned against the frame of the kitchen doorway, smoking his pipe contentedly, and watched the festivities. Just a few more days here and the companions would be ready to travel on, he thought. His brow furrowed for a moment, thinking of the fearsome miles they must still cross. Then the music caught him up, setting his foot a'tapping to it, and he smiled to see the dancers take the floor once again.

[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]