View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #150
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lotho approached Bullroarer just as supper was done. The Took was just pouring himself another cup of sweet-spice tea, when Lotho cleared his throat and motioned him aside with a nod of his head. ‘About those ‘”treasures” you wanted me to sift through. I’ve given a cursory glance to what’s here – mostly items made by Men. Not really fitting, I think though for the Elves of Rivendell.’ He glanced sideways at Bullroarer to see how his next comments would be received.

‘On the other hand, should we decide to take a few of the “items” with us, I think we could all turn a good profit, in due time of course, and with the proper person to handle the transactions.’ Bullroarer shook his head ‘no’ at this idea, saying that the baubles of the Big Folk should stay here. Lotho reluctantly agreed, and went on.

‘I did find these two among the others. Elven made, I think. Lovely enough though to bring to Elrond.’ He handed the necklace and the leaf to Bullroarer.

A small gasp escaped the Took as he held the necklace up to the light. Narwe! he said smiling, ‘Sweet lily.’ He saw the look of astonishment on the other Hobbit’s face. ‘The Fallohide blood runs strongly in the Tooks. Oft times my family would have Elven guests as they passed down the Great Road, heading for the Grey Havens. My first pony was named Lily.’ He held the necklace aloft again, letting the metal catch the glimmer from the lanterns.

It slipped from his hands, and with a cry, Lotho reached out to catch it. His hand grasped air and the necklace fell to the ground against a small rocky outcropping. Bullroarer crouched down and retrieved it. ‘No damage, Lotho. Don’t worry. How could there be? He pulled on the fine links of the chain. ‘It’s mithril.’

He placed the necklace in the pocket of his vest for safekeeping, and turned back to look at the leaf. ‘Now this is lovely work, indeed!’ he murmured, his eyes shining. ‘I cannot read the Elven script here on the back, but I take this for a likeness of the leaves of Telperion, the Silver Tree of Valinor.’ He cradled the leaf in his large hand, and let Lotho see how the silvery surface caught the light and threw it out in soft white rays, like the radiance of the Moon. Taking a clean handkerchief from his breeches’ pocket, he placed both the necklace and the leaf within and tied it securely, placing the entire package in the box he had brought in.

‘Excellent eye, Lotho! I knew I could count on you. Let’s look around a bit more to see what else of Elven design we can find this evening. Though, I think that what you’ve brought me will make even the dourest of Elves smile in delight.’

Bullroarer clapped his hands to get the attention of the rest of the companions. ‘I do not think these dead warriors would mind if we armed ourselves against the dangers of the road. There are still some perilous places we must pass through, and I want us all to be prepared.’ He pointed at Dinodas and Daisy. ‘Bring me that weapon and shield you two are holding.’ He held up the short blade and the small shield. ‘While you’re looking for pretty Elven things, I want you each to pick a weapon that will fit you, and a shield if you so desire. Helmets would be nice, though I think they will mostly be too big for us. Knives are useful, as are the short blades like this.’

He handed the blade and the shield back. ‘Stow away the dishes and pots. Let’s look now among the treasures and gifts for the dead, before it gets too late. I want us well rested this night. We will be up early tomorrow and on our way to Bree.’ He placed the box in a prominent place, reminding the Hobbits to stow the Elven made objects there.

Bullroarer walked over to Hall and Gaddy as they sat spooning up the last of the soup. ‘Can you two lads see to the ponies – muck out their area, give them water, and a little feed, then come join us in our hunt.’