View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #119
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well...I took your comment abount abstinence a little differently, is all. The subject of... well, yeah... is extremely taboo about my house and so I did, unfortunately, wish to reply in a rather heated manner. I was disgusted that you would compare the Ring to that which you mentioned (lol... the quote 'He that we do not name' comes unbidden to my mind), for I do not believe it is an accurate comparison at all. And here is not the proper place to discuss it.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot Bombadil.

I don't know if what I said about him being perfect is right, either. I believe that is the case with his character...but one can not be absolutely certain with Bombadil.
And it is a difficult concept to comprehend. However, there are two things to consider - one, he did not live with other flawed beings. He was actually set apart. Yes, it was possible to reach him, but he did not live among others. Two, there has been a perfect being on this Earth (our earth) before, and He was not set physically apart as Bombadil. He walked among us.

And although I do not agree with you about him doing nothing to further the story, I will not go into great deal to disagree with you. All I will say is something that I believe davem has said before - All the adventures that took place with or near Bombadil (in the three chapters of The Old Forest, In the House of Tom Bombadil, and Fog on the Barrow Downs) were a huge part of the development of Frodo and even a bit of the other three hobbits. Not to mention their enchanted swords with which Merry ended up hurting the Witch King with.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 10-26-2007 at 07:49 PM.