View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 06:27 AM   #62
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
When back in 2004 Rumohir suggested some additions from Bolt_1 to the section Of The Valar the project rejected them. Back then I was the main oposing voice. But my main argument was that they did not fit the later seperation of Valar and Maiar in The Valaquenta. That argument is still true for the palcement that Rumohir suggested. But I would be open to such additions from Bolt_1 or other sources, her in the Of the Maiar part, if we can incooperat them nicely. (But looking back to the history of this project, we changed a reference to the 'Manir and Suruli' to the more general 'Maiar'. Nonethelss we included the Eärni after some discussion that I could not find right now.)

And in this special case I see a issue with the passge from PE 15: How do we work with the references to Wéland, Böðvildr and Niðhad? They are fully okay in the context of Eriol/Ælfwine talking to Rúmil, but without Ælfwine, how could we explain such references to 'other/outer manish legends'?

Respectfully
Findegil
1) I think Velindo/Gwilion fits neatly in Of the Maiar

2) We simply remove all references to Eriol, Rumil, Bodhvildr and Nidhhad - and we only keep the material relating to Velindo and Aule, such as this:

Quote:
Velindo (or Gwilion) was a Maia of Aulë's folk who was sent by Aulë to Middle-earth to fetch at his need some of the good heavy red gold of the Dwarves.

However, there his pride swelled by reason of the amazement of Men and Dwarves at his skill; and he never returned to Aulë but set up on his own - and was once famous far and wide but with the eventual fading of the Elves his power has waned. While not wicked, he was still very vain.
I may have taken some liberties in the wording, but the gist is the same.

My only problem lies with the name 'Velindo' (and 'Gwilion').

Last edited by Arvegil145; 09-06-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote