View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #99
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Roy was angry. He wanted to rip Tharonwë apart, limb from limb. Or at least push him off the edge of a cliff. He felt like a stranger to himself. He felt like there was a bomb in his chest ready to blow up, and that he needed desperately to defuse it. So he thought of Angela. It seemed to help, someone. In fact, thoughts of Angela had been coming to mind more frequently than they had been. He wondered why. When had it started? Not when he had first come here. Nor when he had met Mellonin, or Ravion, or the others. Not when he had first been confronted by Tharonwë, curse the black hearted elf! Not even when Tharonwë had plagued his mind, sifting it for anything he might find useful from the future. When had it begun in earnest? It had been on their way back to Minas Tirith from the south. Indil. A six year old girl? He wasn't sure she was six, but it served as well as another age, considering how she was: which was, in a word, delightful. Maybe it was the brown eyes that put him in mind of Angela. They were the same. Not so amazing, that. Not nearly so amazing as even being here, in this land that he loved because he had read it in a book. It wasn't even supposed to be-

"Raefindan?"

Roy looked up. He had been so immersed in his thoughts that he had forgotten his name here. Raefindan. It was Mellondu, and this was the second time he had used his name.

"Yes?"

"I was just wondering. Well, I -- "

Roy waited.

"How are you?"

Mellondu seemed diffident. But why was he asking? Roy wondered if the rage he felt more than half the time was registering on his face.

"How am I?"

"Well, yes. How are you? Lately."

Should he tell Mellondu any of what he was thinking? Maybe the least little bit that the blacksmith could make use of.

"I am hot with the will to do that Elf some bodily harm for taking Indil, to be perfectly frank." Mellondu's brows shot up. He had not, perhaps, been expecting something so forceful, Roy thought. "Other than that, I suppose I am well. And you? How goes it with you? And --" How did one express such things? "--and the one that --" he paused, struggling for the words to describe his thought "--sleeps within?"