View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #52
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Finally and separately, one quote which seems to be a direct counter to the concept of this thread (that the events of the Elder Days are deliberate hyperbole by Tolkien):

Actually the whole essay (part of the Myths Transformed set, dating to about 1960) is fascinating; it includes the new idea that Melkor was never chained, and in fact /couldn't/ be chained - he was too powerful even for all the Valar to restrain him! He surrendered, and was basically put in solitary confinement in Mandos.

hS
I am sure the fault lies with me as others have come to your conclusion on my op. But I never said the valar were no the most powerful creations by Eru. My op says

“His [melkor] might was greatest of all things in this world.”
-of the ruin of Beleriand

Melkor was the “greatest” “most powerful” and knowledgeable of all the valar the strongest beings outside of Eru [God].

Valar were the strongest creations by eru.

I am just saying that even in these mighty powerful creatures, we see they are not invincible to none valar or even maia. I am as you said also suggesting that hypebole played a role in their description and exaggerated their strength some.