View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #358
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Despite Garstan's worry, Eodwine's words brought a faint smile to his face. His memory turned back to the evening before their departure from the Hall - Eodwine's vow, and his own secret promise.

"I have no need of a day, nor yet an hour, to think upon my answer, lord, for I know even now what my choice shall be.

"Yet before I speak, there is something which I would set aright." It was Garstan's turn to pause. He was unsure of how broach the topic of his secret vow to Eodwine's protection. "It is true. I swore no vow that was known to you. But an oath I took to your aid, Eorl, ere we left the safety of your Hall, though it was witnessed, perhaps, only by the breeze at the window. For I could not accept your protection without doing my utmost to guard you in turn. But I should have spoken long before this day, and I beg your forgiveness for having kept my counsel to myself until now.

"And now to your question! I will stay, and hold your friendship in care and in honor."

Having put more words together than he ever had before, Garstan stopped, uneasy under the numerous gazes of the folk of the Mead Hall, and searched Eodwine's face for a response.

Last edited by Celuien; 06-11-2006 at 06:45 AM.