View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 06:12 PM   #31
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This was all coming a little quickly for Arethin. First Anuion's procalamation on his mother's condition, then Rosfin's appearance. They seemed to be getting ready to leave. He wasn't ready to leave yet. The least he could do would be to warn his brother that he was leaving. The lad was seventeen, and he ought to be given at least a heads-up that he'd have to support the family now. At least the family wouldn't take as much supporting, with Arethin gone. Still, he was torn...what if he returned too late? Then his adventuring would be useless. This was ridiculous, he had no right to be traipsing around looking for some ancient book of spells...but the other half of his mind told him that he had every right, and even an obligation to. This could be the only chance he ever got to save his mother. She'd die if she didn't get the right medication, that was for certain. She was already dying. She was practically dead. Yet still...

"Now tell me, you don't believe in this book do you? Surely its just children's stories. Right?"

It was this question of Jack's that broke Arethin out of his thoughts and pushed him over the edge. "If you don't believe in this book at all, as is evident by your remarks, then why in the world are you willing to risk life and limb to find it with us?" he exploded, pushing himself up out of his chair. Several people turned to look at him, but he ignored them. "I don't understand you, Jack. Why are you doing this?"

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]