View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote: There are, as I have mentioned before, a couple of phrases that I would write differently if I had the opportunity to do so to make that more clear, although I agree with jallanite that ultimately those changes would not have made much difference to people's reactions.
Well phrasing can sometimes make a notable difference, and you seem to agree that you were not careful enough in general here, if you would write even a couple things differently -- and considering this matter, I would have thought you would have made yourself crystal clear and have no regrets at this point.

Quote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: I think that people like Carl, Galin, and others would still have been just as upset about me raising the issue at all.
I wouldn't say 'upset' for myself, but perplexed rather.

And can we say what an implication is not? it's not something that is expressed directly... but it looks to me like it's somewhat subjective whether you did or did not 'imply' purpose with phrasing like 'clear pattern' and even the appearance of a systematic reduction, keeping in mind that you agree that you've raised the question of misogyny in your reader's minds at least. And you've stated that you don't and can't know if reducing the roles of females was done intentionally, and here you note that you doubt very much that it was -- but in your book do you give this opinion?

A book that isn't shy of opinions, it seems to me

And incidentally, I think employing unconscious or unintentional (in a thread, the book aside for a moment) still leaves it open that you maybe think Christopher Tolkien unconsciously and unintentionally revealed that he has something against women.

Last edited by Galin; 07-21-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote