View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 AM   #43
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The conversation slowed. Mellon looked around.

Godglædhold, Lytdeorcan, and Brond had fortified themselves fairly well, and were defending themselves against the general onslaught. Mellon lingered, watching Brond; the little one's laugh was contagious, and the three laughed as much as they spoke or worked or fought. Mellon envied that, and was tempted to join them, but he looked further.

Ædegard and the Shieldmaidens were still valiantly defending Ædegard's Deep. Several new sheildmaidens had joined. He listened again.

"Good one, Eruvalde!"

"Felly! The wall needs repair again!"

"Aëria, I can't do two things at once! You fix it!"

"Emris! You scoundrel! What are you doing!"

And above it all, Ædegard's voice rang. "Stand fast! Give them a volley! The defense of Ædegard's Deep shall live in song!"

A shiver shook his entire body, and Mellon reluctantly decided to return to the Inn. He really did prefer the heat, he realized with a laugh. Good thing; life would be awkward for a blacksmith who preferred the cold.

As he returned reluctantly to the Inn, he passed Aduthondiel who was tending to her horse. He paused. "I am sorry to have ended our conversation so abruptly, lady. It was rather rude of me. Please forgive me. I meant no offence."

She nodded at him. "You never did tell me what you saw."

"A child, " he said dreamily. "I remembered one of the children."

With a raised eyebrow, she nodded.

"Perhaps you'll rejoin me inside?" he said.

"Perhaps, " she replied.

He returned to the inn. The Innkeeper motioned to the teakettle and said, "It's hot." He nodded, hung his cloak, and prepared a cup of tea. Looking around, he saw a young lady and a girl, sitting at a table, sipping hot chocolate and chatting. He watched them, wondering if they wanted company.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:45 AM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]