Thread: I Hate Feanor
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkolas View Post
But Feanor foresook any sympathy when he dragged a bunch of innocent elves to their deaths.
I'm not sure about the others being "innocent elves". For example, Galadriel "had a marvelous gift of insight into the minds of others" and in Fëanor "she perceived a darkness that she hated and feared". Interestingly enough, "she DID NOT perceive that the shadow of the SAME EVIL had fallen upon the minds of ALL the NOLDOR., and upon her OWN." [U.T., p. 241] So whereas, like you she sees this stain in Fëanor, it is clear that the stain has touched most/all of the Noldor.

In Valinor, believe it or not, in his relationship with Melkor, Fëanor "held NO CONVERSE with him and took NO COUNSEL FROM him" [Sil, p. 71] whereas everyone else did, "both the Valar and the Eldar had profit from his aid and counsel, if they sought it" [70] and among the Noldor "some harkened to his words that it would have been better for them never to have heard" [71]. I think maybe it should also be noted that, "none of the Eldalië ever hated Melkor more than Fëanor" even "snared though he was in the webs of Melkor's malice against the Valar"[71].

Lastly it is said:

"they [gods] mourned not more for the death of the Trees than for the marring of Fëanor: of the works of Melkor one of the most evil." [Sil, p. 112]