Thread: I Hate Feanor
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #31
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Aye, but despite that, I wouldn't classify Feanor as evil. Why? Because of the intensity of everything that happened in and around him, and his fiery spirit, and his madness, and for god's sake because he's a tragic hero (or anti-hero, as Lotrelf nicely put). Because neither Jason or Medea are villains, or Paris or Menelaus or Odysseus. And neither is Feanor. Because good tragedies aren't written about Ingwes. Because in a tragedy, even though physically it may be someone's fault, but it's no one's fault and no one truly wanted it, and that's why it's a tragedy and not a moral fable of why it's bad to do so-and-so in such-and-such cases.
I hear ya. I have to add that without empathy for him, I can't live an honest life, because that would make me a finger-pointer about another's foibles without bearing in mind another truth. Beware how we judge others, for the stronger the judgement, the more that points to a flaw or fracture in the self. There's an old saying, 'me thinks he doth protest too much', the predecessor attribution about defensive thinking. In the modern world, we might say 'hyper-moralisers beware--you're telling us more about you than who you're judging'. Or 'let he who cast the first stone'. And all that.

I remember, for a very long time, turning on Frodo and seeing him as the failed hero because his forbearance lapsed at the 11th hour at the Sammath Naur. It's only 25 years later that I found compassion for him, realising some of the implications of the burden he bore, and realising I suspect I'd be much more like ole Boromir, ultimately, than our noble Aragorn. A hard realisation to accept--that I'm just an ordinary human like the rest of us 9 billion souls, excepting people like Nelson Mandella, and Ghandi.

Quote:
Wait, what? He's Morgoth's son? When does that happen?
I sooo get you. Looks like Morgoth liked to gettiton with his bad people! God god - he must give a new definition to deviant behaviour - I don't even want to think about him and Ungoliant any more........-

Book of Lost Tales. As a son of Morgoth and the ogress Fluithuin or Ulbandi. Versus Silmarillion, where he is a Maia and head Balrog honcho.

Quote:
By the way, welcome to the Downs! I don't believe I've said this yet to you. lease don't be scared off by my rant on my beloved tragedies.
Say thank you muchly. I haven't seen flaming here so far, though I've seen good, strong position taking with a good splash of fine eyes for great detail. I love it!
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote