View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #45
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Frodides stood up and clapped her hands loudly, bringing the room's attention to herself. Putting on hand behind her back, she made a gesture to the children with it. They understood the signal and stood up, some of them grabbing at their baker hats to ensure they wouldn't fall off. "The children's choir would now like to sing a little song for you," said Frodides. "They tell me it is a song of the Hobbits, of whom they hear tell of in tales. I don't know if this is true or not, but no doubt you will enjoy the song immensely."

Frodides stepped back and leaned over to Aylwen, whispering something in her ear. The latter nodded and moved to stand next to the children, striking up a merry tune. The children stood there awkwardly for a moment, and then they began to sing. Softly at first, but slowly their voices grew louder as they grew accustomed to the idea of singing in front of a crowd of people. Mærcwen, being the lass she was, found no difficultly in singing loudly and sweetly.

I'll tell my ma when I go home
The boys won't leave the girls alone
They pulled my hair, they stole my comb
But that's all right till I go home.
She is handsome, she is pretty
She is the bell of Bywater city
She is counting one, two, three
Please won't you tell me who is she.

All the children save one closed their mouths and turned their eyes to Fianna, who now had her grand moment in singing a solo part. Taking a deep breath, she began to sing clearly:

Halfast Proudfoot says he loves her
All the boys are fighting for her
They knock at the door and they ring at the bell
Sayin' "Oh my true love, are you well?"
Out she comes as white as snow
Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
Old LothoHeadstrong says she'll die
If she doesn't get the fellow with the roving eye.

The group of children together sang the chorus together, and then Mærcwen struck out alone, singing without the slightest hint of shyness. Frodides smiled proudly as she listened to her daughter's voice.

Let the wind and rain and the hail blow high
And the snow come tumblin' from the sky
She's as nice as apple pie
She'll get her own lad by and by.
When she gets a lad of her own
She won't tell her ma when she goes home
Let them all come as they will
For it's Halfast Proudfoot she loves still.

And then, once again, the children sang the choir together, and all of them, inspired after listening to Fianna and Mærcwen solos, sang louder and clearer than the other times.

I'll tell my ma when I go home
The boys won't leave the girls alone
They pulled my hair, they stole my comb
But that's all right till I go home.

The children finished and stepped back into their chairs with little bows, smiling proudly at the loud applause that echoed across the room. Mia and Frodides went forward to sisters and daughter, giving them words of praise. Mia took Fianna's hands in hers and whispered softly, "Now, Fianna, what song would you like to sing alone with Mærcwen? Whatever you choose, you two will sing."

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]