View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #52
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Theora walked slowly through Edoras. It was a lovely sunny day and she rarely went into town. Just looking around at all the people instead of endless miles of grass and hundreds of horses, made today seem special. It felt like a holiday. She slipped into daydreams. A tall young man with light brown hair winked at her and she blushed. Two little girls ran out of a side alley and chased each other around Theora's legs. A man on a horse had to pull sharply on the reins as she walked dreamily down the road. It was almost a shock when she finally came to the place she had been looking for.

"The White Horse Inn" she murmured to herself under her breath. Mama had said it was a reputable place, very suitable for a young girl to get her first job. Mama had said that Theora had to do well. Mama had said that she was bot to go off into her dreams and break all the inn's crockery. Mama had said that she wanted Theora to find a husband. Theora sighed suddenly, the brightness gone from the day. With so much to do it no longer seemed like a holiday.

She stood for a while gazing solemnly at the creaking sign above the inn door. It seemed final, somehow, going in through the door. It seemed like beginning a new life and she wasn't sure if she was ready. Automatically Theora flicked her long blonde plait behind her back from where it had been hanging over her shoulder. There was no other choice than to go in, really, and hope that the people were nice.

Pushing the door open, noise hit her like a gust of air. There were many people inside the inn, more than she had expected. Nervously she approached a friendly looking woman.
"Ex-" she whispered, then cleared her throat. What could they do but refuse? And then I could go home and Mama couldn't do anything she thought, and the idea made her bold.
"Excuse me" she began again. "Can you tell me who I should ask about working here? I don't mind whether it's in the kitchens or the common room or helping with the bedrooms or even with the animals, I grew up on a farm you see, or I'm good at helping with children or I can sew or anything else..." she trailed off breathlessly and looked hopefully at the woman.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link