View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #58
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

With the Assistant Innkeeper being called home for a family matter, Bęthberry was finding herself busier than she had expected. Aylwen, you don't know how much you are missed! she whispered to herself and to the air, as if the message would hang there, circling the rafters round and round, ready for Aylwen to find when she returned.

Bęthberry then spied young Barthaew with his sac of new mugs she had ordered. "Barthew! A timely arrival indeed. Many thanks for making the mugs for me on such quick notice. If you'll deliver them to the kitchen, to Iswyn, I'm sure they will be put to immediate use." The Innkeeper then reached into her front pocket to find payment. "Here's the sum agreed upon, five pence each. Mind you don't spend it all here tonight, though, my lad," she spoke with a friendly grin, as she counted the pennies out into his palm. She watched around, ensuring that no ill-favoured sorts observed the transaction. She wouldn't want the boy to be relieved of his wages, for his family could use the money well.

As Barthaew disappeared into the kitchen, the Innkeeper watched a young girl with a country shyness about her timidly walk through the front door. Yet there was nothing timid about the voice which spoke up. It rang clear and sweet, perhaps hesitant, but honest about the request for employment.

"You'll be willing to work the laundry, and be a maid for the upstairs rooms, Theora? We'll have sheets and pillow cases, linens and napkins galore for cleaning on the morrow."

"Aye, I promise. As I said, there are too many of us on the farm, and I need to help bring in some wealth for the family."

"Show me your work tomorrow and then we'll settle on your salary. For now, help yourself to dinner, and see what aid you can offer Iswyn in the kitchen."

"You'll pay me honestly for all I do?" the young girl asked with solemnity, afraid she was being asked to work for nothing."

"Of course, of course, my lass. Your mother spoke the truth when she said we are a decent Inn."

Out of the corner of her eye, Bęthberry saw Mia's face cloud over as she took an order from a smooth-faced patron and something silver flashed briefly in front of her. The Innkeeper murmured a "hhmmpfht" to herself as she worked up a stern rebuke for the patron, but then she saw with much relief that Laevin had worked his own measure of reprimand. She could not ask for more from a good neighbour and a decent citizen of the city. She was proud to call him 'friend.'

Bęthberry then sought out Talan, who she found shirking his duty by hiding in the kitchen with Delia.

"Talan, there's a patron who's lip is a little too free with the help here. Please circulate in the Great Hall and watch that none of the staff are subjected to any rude slights. Let me know immediately if any problems arise. We don't want knife fights breaking out." He nodded nervously, hesitantly, and walked out to observe the party. Bęthberry wondered how long it would take for him to become comfortable with his job.

On her way out of the kitchen, she whispered to Mia. "Keep the dagger about you if you wish to feel safe, but don't show it in the Inn, for we don't need to encourage any disorderly braggarts. Bring problems to me or to Talan."

With a sigh of busy labour, Bęthberry then walked out to mingle in the Great Hall. She spied the once-bedraggled stranger, now cleaned and freshly dressed, sitting with Laevin. The clothes, she observed, suited him well, and air of tired despair had left his visage. She wondered what story he had to tell and what use he would make of his good fortune.

Not able to find Annawyn in the crowded hall, Bęthberry took herself to a chair at Laevin's table.

"May I join you briefly?" she asked the two men.