View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #61
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

"I'm going to have some supper and then help Iswyn." The girl grinned at these words, Iswyn eyed her critically, a smile plastered to her freckled face. Help Iswyn? She did okay. Not that help would be unwelcome. Iswyn bit her lip, glancing around the kitchen, she hoped they hadn't sent another girl because they thought she wasn't doing her work. Iswyn swallowed hard, wishing she'd spent less time on the apples and barley, and more on the dishes. Her grin still stuck lopsidedly to her face she approached the newcomer.

"Well, you're in luck, I'm Iswyn!" The girl's smile broadened a little, and Iswyn hurried to get her a plate. She filled it high, making sure to give the girl a generous helping of the new peas she'd picked earlier- sneaking a few into her mouth on the way. Sliding the plate across a counter to the new girl she asked, "what's your name?"

The other girl ate neatly, chewing her food fully before looking up at Iswyn. "Theora," she answered, "I'll mostly be working upstairs, I think." Iswyn relaxed noticeably at this statement. Breaking back into her usual chatter, she gestured wildly from side to side, indicating the sinks where the dishes were done, the stove where Froma was still working, the counters and cabinets where the various dishes were kept.

"Iswyn, girl, give her a rest!" Froma turned to her, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "She doesn't need to know where every teaspoon and toothpick belongs to work down here tonight." Froma shot the newcomer a kind look and went back to his bustling around the stove. Iswyn suspected he was just keeping busy, as most of the food seemed to be finished.

Iswyn shot Froma a slightly reproachful look before turning back to Theora. "Well, then, what we can do for tonight is wash out these mugs. Someone just brough them in, and they're pretty clean, but they're all dusty, see?" she rubbed her thumb across the rim of one of the mugs. A darker stripe showed clearly where she'd rubbed it. She made a disgusted face. "Can't drink out of that." Theora smiled and shook her head. Disappearing under a stack of dusty mugs, Iswyn reappeared near the sink, beckoning to Theora to come join her.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!