View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #65
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"...I'm Iswyn"
Theora smiled broadly, relieved that Iswyn hadn't commented on Theora's daydreaming. It would be one thing to not be given a job, but quite another to be turned out after only a few moments!

Talking brightly Iswyn filled a plate high with lovely looking food and presented it to Theora. Then she proceeded to talk on and on, very fast, as Theora regarded her food. It seemed very different to what Theora got on the farm, but picking up a pie and biting into it she recognised the creamy taste of chicken. The food might be different but it was very good!

"Iswyn, girl, give her a rest!" said a man Theora had not noticed earlier. "She doesn't need to know where every teaspoon and toothpick belongs to work down here tonight."
With a start Theora realised she had not a clue what Iswyn had been telling her. She smiled at her sheepishly and resolved to pay far more attention in the future.

Soon Theora knew that she could eat no more, no matter how nice the food was, or how long since she had eaten.
Iswyn smiled again.
"Well, then, what we can do for tonight is wash out these mugs. Someone just brough them in, and they're pretty clean, but they're all dusty, see?"
Theora watched as Iswyn proved her point that yes, the mugs were indeed dusty.
"Can't drink out of that."
Theora shook her head to show that she had been paying attention, then watched as Iswyn went to the sink and beckoned to her. Taking her plate, Theora followed.]

"What shall I do with this?" she asked, motioning to her (admittedly few) leftovers.
"There" said Iswyn, pointing to a bucket.
"For the pigs?" asked Theora with a grin, scraping the food off her plate. Iswyn nodded. Theora went back over to the sink, placed her plate in and started scrubbing, determined to show her worth.

"I like pigs" she said to Iswyn conversationally. Finishing her plate she went to pick up a couple of dusty mugs.
"Very clean animals, really" she continued. "Cleaner than my brothers! But then I think most animals are..."
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link