View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #260
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Which disregards that:
- all the ainur are supposed to stay within Ea until the end
- Eru must respect the free will of his created beings
- Melkor is the foremost candidate for an exception; the effects of him staying in Ea and regaining power are incomparable to Sauron doing so
So exceptions are possible?

Quote:
In a situation of power which is incomparable to what has been before.
As would Numenor without its Fleet.

Quote:
Those on the mainland, unlike those on the island, weren't under Sauron's continuous, ever increasing, corruption.
So the Children of Numenor were more 'evil' than fully grown Numenoreans on the Mainland?

Quote:
I have asked you what would you have done better, if someone continues to kill and oppress, and will do so as long as he/she lives. So far, you have only nitpick at my presentation of the situation, without pointing out to any other better solution. The One's responsibility is not only to save the aggressors (the best way he can), but the victims too.
If that was the 'best' he could do, I'm not impressed.

Quote:
False analogy; in the situation of heretics and witches, the blame rested on their accusers. There was no real reason, religious or otherwise, to do so. The burden of proof has not been observed in fact. With the numenoreans, the evidence were in the day light, while there still was light.
So burning them alive would have been ok if there had been proof? Its not that burning someone alive is wrong in & of itself, only if you have no evidence?

Quote:
I am aware that the younger those people, the lesser their fault (although their marring might be just as strong). For this, I propose we consider: the "mother" situation I presented to Lal; beyond all, the fact that Eru can turn any divine punishment into a divine gift.
And you're still saying its ok to kill 'evil' children.

Quote:
These circumstances are beyond his control, if he is to guarantee free will.
Killing someone does not guarantee their free will.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote