View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 05:39 AM   #155
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

It’s high time to answer this question – nice to have more leisure for the enjoyable details after the holidays! I will give the quotes from BoLT, taken from Christopher Tolkien’s comments on The Cottage of Lost Play:
Quote:
Kortirion … would become in after days Warwick (and the elements Kor- and War- were etymologically connected);
…Tavrobel … would afterwards be the Staffordshire village of Great Haywood.

From 1913 until her [Edith Bratt’s] marriage in March 1916 she lived in Warwick and my father visited her there from Oxford; after their marriage she lived for a while at Great Haywood (east of Stafford), since it was near the camp where my father was stationed, and after his return from France he was at Great Haywood in the winter of 1916-17.
…the fair copy of The Cottage of Lost Play (and quite possibly the original composition of it) was actually done there.
I can’t help but think that those must have been special times of his life and places that meant a lot to him to have him memorialise them in his mythology!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote