View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #92
Roxbury

Sting

Well hello all, do you have room for another old timer? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The first time I read Tolkien was about twenty years ago- I can't remember much about that time except I was captivated by the Hobbit and started LotR and never quite finished it. I remember my boyfriend at the time (now my spouse) bought me the leather bound green Hobbit book and the red leather LotR as well as The Tolkien Companion by JEA Tyler. I am back in Middle Earth now thanks to the movies and these discussion forums. These books were meant to be discussed!! My poor spouse is feeling a bit neglected because my elementary school aged boy and I talk endlessly about the story and characters. Reading Tolkien gives me the opportunity to think about matters such as--evil vs. good, immortality/death, courage, etc.... Yeah, I loved philosophy in college [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Having finished the LotR, I am now working my way through The Sil--I'm taking notes--man that book is packed with information. Looking forward to posting with you all. Oh, BTW I found the BBC recording of The Hobbit at half price books the other day- can't wait to listen to it!! Roxbury