View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #82
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Did I miss some thing?
When the text of Antione apeared (for a view days), I thought that the all problems we had with the Ainulindalė were settled. But revisiting this thread I think that the issue of the Yavanna as a tree was not finally resolved. With the text readed (hopefully) as Antione did provide it, are there still no renegades for a such a elegant conclusion as a footnote did provide?

And reading the text and its companions in the HoME I found a heavy problem: The First battle of the Valar as told in the Ainulindalė was later changed in The Annals of Aman. Beside the fact that the discription in AAm is much more elaborated then in the Ainulindalė and thus sweets the overall goal of the project better there are some big differences:
- Utumno was in AAm build before the assult on Almaren and the Lamps.
- The Valar did pursuit Melkor at once, but cuold not overcome him. They did come out of Valinor at Melkor for the first time at the War of Powers.

Beside these project issuse I have a question of understanding: As its stands in the Sil77 and the Ainulindalė I got the understanding that Melkor at first did dispute Manwė's Kingship and was driven from the World. Then he returned and the First war of the Valar occured which was ended when Tulkas chased Melkor again from the world.
But now after reading all the texts again I think that view was wrong. It seems to me know that the end of Rśmils Ainulindalė, the addition Pengolodh and the first §§ in Of Valinor and the two Trees do discribe the same event thrice: the First war of the Valar that following the Annals of Aman lasted 1500 VY before Tulkas came in and drove Melkor out.
Do you think that I have got the story right now or do you think that Melkor left the world two times?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote