View Single Post
Old 03-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Thanks, Mayla . (Not really trying to be, but linguistic malpractice in movies always upsets me). I kind of thought that the men were supposed to speak like Americans as well, but Boromir sounded (as he is) very English. Of course, he and Aragorn grew up rather far from each other. I wonder how the Rohirrim will sound? Anyway all I meant to say was that since the characters were all supposed to have grown up fairly distant from each other, it's believable that their accents would vary like that.<P>As for the hobbit accents - well, you had Frodo who I think was just meant to sound straight English (by which I mean the radio-announcer English accent that Americans hear more than any other, unless of course they're Monty Python fans ) since he's "higher class" than Sam. Sam I've already gone into. It's odd that Merry and Pippin (Pippin especially) would sound Scottish since they didn't grow up *that* far away from Frodo and are in the same social class. OTOH those Brandybucks and Tooks are rather suspiciously regarded by the Hobbiton citizenry, and have a reputation for being odd, and they do live more than several days' distance away. Maybe it works if you think of Hobbiton as London and Tookland and Buckland as the equivalent of those loons up north of the Scottish border . (No disrespect intended to posters of any nationality, BTW).<p>[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]