View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #35
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
“Yes, of course…thank you.” Toby murmured this almost glibly as he turned swiftly and scurried out of the stable in the direction that Snaveling had most likely headed, as he deduced from the newcomer’s guesses. He was outside instantly, flitting like a carrion bird over the grounds towards the structural framework of the inn, where Snaveling was probably loitering. “Snaveling,” he cawed, continuing the strange bird-phase he was presently in, “Wherever you have run off to, do not think that avoiding me will help your case!” He continued dodging more nimbly past the many workers of the inn, being careful not to collide or make any physical contact with anyone.

After scanning the area with his eyes, which seemed now to be bursting from his pointed snout and skull, he came upon the visage of Snaveling, who was busy helping the process of a lifting a particularly imposing wooden beam with his back turned to the gentlehobbit. Tobias Hornblower caught passing glances of the man’s stern face as it turned sideways every few moments to inspect his own doings. Avoiding more workers, the hobbit ran right up to Snaveling and jabbed him indignantly in the back, simultaneously emitting a vulgar snorting noise. He didn’t even care that the thrust with his index finger had almost caused Snaveling to lose his grip on the beam.

“Snaveling, I demand a private audience with you immediately. You have eluded my reprimands long enough, and now you will hear them. Come, and we will discuss these things like gentlemen, unless you would prefer to explain your actions here and now, without delay! Be quick about your decision, Snaveling, for these events have made my well of patience run dry. Do not idly loiter here, for you know not the sting of a learned hobbit's words.”

Toby remained completely oblivious to the fact that Roa and Galadel were standing on either side of Snaveling, also assisting with the beam and clearly hearing his every word. Not quite comprehending that, Tobias tapped his large foot impatiently upon the ground, with a stern, lopsided grimace marring his expression.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies