View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #28
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HC, I tend to agree with you. Sam almost left in Lothlorien because of what he saw in the Mirror of Galadriel. It was only by knowing that Frodo was with him and in need of him that kept him from darting back there. Without Frodo there, what would keep him from it?

This brings my thoughts back to Aragorn, who is stronger than most and I am always trying to put my finger on why. He overcame the Palantir of Orthanc and used it to determine his course into the Paths of the Dead, when one as strong as Denethor could not hope to escape unscathed. Is it his pure will? Is it the fact that he, as a Ranger, has given up all pretense associated with a rightful returning King and learned an ultimate humility? There is a strength beyond what I can explain in human terms inside Aragorn. Many say it is his Elven heritage, the blood of Numenor and a divine right of sorts, but no preordained "right" can overcome the soul of a man himself when he is alone.

My idea is: if Aragorn accompanied Sam to Mordor, I think he could keep him on track spiritually, but I think that Aragorn is not the right person for the job, as he has the responsibility of the King; Aragorn's weakness might be that he would insist on taking the dangerous path to keep others from taking harm from it. Aragorn would have followed Frodo into the very fires of Mount Doom, but then where would Minas Tirith be? It would be a race, but would the people of Gondor accept a King who abandoned them in their need?

I suppose this is an argument against Aragorn going to Mordor more than anything else. I think either Legolas or Gimli would be a better choice for accompanying Sam, but I also think that Sam would lose hope much more quickly without one of his own to be with him, as he is a follower, as I said before. The question then, is would Merry and/or Pippin fall prey to the desire to return to the Shire and set things to rights? I think Pippin would eventually have come around (he is bent on stopping Frodo from going to Mordor when the Fellowship breaks at Parth Galen). Pippin hardened considerably, as did Merry during the course of the story, and I can see a reflection the "do it and die" mentality that Frodo had in the thoughts of Pippin at the Gate of Morannon. Throughout the story, there is this thin line I sense, of despair trying to break through, and the hobbits manage to keep it at bay, all except Frodo, who is most beset, and even he has a spirit beyond hope, as if he is possessed by the very essence of the Good...I think this is an indefinable quality of Hobbits that makes them special. And I think this is a quality Gandalf alone recognized in the beginning.

I have rambled indeed! I hope you enjoy the post, and thanks again for your indulgence!

Cheers,
Lyta

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”