View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A sea of green slime that overwhelms enemies by swarming over them like an army of ants and... what exactly? How is it that movie-army of the dead kills their victims? Seriously, they reminded me of some termite or piranha attack, where they cover a victim completely and in two seconds there's nothing left. My memory of the movie isn't best either, so if the movie actually shows how the dead kill people please correct me.

As for the book-army of the dead, I agree with Zil. The dead inspire fear. They did not directly kill anyone - the corsairs just fled from terror, and the Gondorian slaves would have fled too if not for their chains. Certainly everyone on land would have fled if it wasn't for Aragorn. It's a fear that doesn't discriminate.

Now the Nazgul also work by fear, but that fear does discriminate. Their foes drop their weapons, fall down helplessly, lose their purpose, but their armies rush forward madly because even sure death is better than facing the Nazgul's wrath. It is curious - a hypothetical scenario - what would happen to the fear balance if the book dead did come to Pelannor Fields. Probably nothing good to the men fighting outside the walls of the city, but what about Sauron's army?