View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 04:14 AM   #103
LadyArwen
Pile O'Bones

LadyArwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
'HIS DARK MATERIALS' is a must, and I've just learned that it is being made into a movie.
A movie! A movie?A MOVIE!! I must say I'm a great fan of Philip Pullman. Northern Lights, the Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass ... exactly what I would call 'riveting stuff'. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Also, one series which I haven't seen posted is the Abhorsen Series - 'Sabriel' is the first book, 'Lirael' the second, and the third, 'Abhorsen', is yet to come. I highly recommend this series - you get swept into this whole world of magic, mystery and ...... (fill in the dotted line with appropriate answer, as I can't think of one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
I found Lirael the better of the two, so if you don't like Sabriel, then don't be put off - have a go at Lirael.

Now, what else have I got on my shelf ... *has a quick look* Hm ... 'The Day of the Triffids' ... 'Lord of the Rings' (of course!) ... 'Witches Abroad' ... 'The Last Dragonlord' ... 'Daghter of the Forest' ...
Well, that's about all the fantasy I have here!
Btw, I read the Prydain Chronicles and I found they just didn't pull me into the story. Then again, I was 9, so I guess I might have changed a bit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A Philip Pullman series I highly recommend, though it isn't exactly fantasy, is his 'Ruby in the Smoke' quartet. Again, absolutely 'riveting stuff' [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] These include 'The Ruby in the Smoke', 'The Shadow in the North', 'The Tiger in the Well', and 'The Tin Princess'. I didn't find 'The Tin Princess' as good as the others, but that's just me.

And of course, how could I forget Harry Potter? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Not as deep as Tolkien, of course, but a fantastic, magical adventure story all the same!

And finally, I recommend Lewis Carrol, for a wonderful, absolutely ridiculous laugh-until-you-get-a-stitch time. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oops. That post was a bit long ... got a bit carried away there ... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, if you have any recommendations, please feel free to email me at glitterglossbug_smh@hotmail.com

Thank you!
-LadyArwen